Tele-mentoring is a form of virtual mentoring. It should be included in existing medical e-learning programs. Teaching practices in these medical e-learning programs have to be analysed or, where applicable, developed and tested. Good practices will be published in a handbook to promote tele-mentoring in remote areas.
Tele-mentoring enhances medical education programs and provides better opportunities for continuing education and professional development for health workers and GPs in remote areas. Therefore, it is a very suitable tool to counteract professional isolation. The mentor should connect theory and practice.
In the years 2012-2014 the PrimCareIT project partners carried out five pilots on tele-mentoring. Find here the documentation of their activities:
- Analysis of the country specific medical continuous education.
- Needs assessment in the pilot regions, e.g. what kind of technology, for example webcam and PC, is still needed.
- Process assessment on how to implement tele-mentoring in the daily work routine and continuous education.
- Set-up of the pilot.
- Equip at least ten doctor's offices of young professionals in remote primary health for tele-mentoring.
- Equip the corresponding professionals.